Marc Durant / Attorney
Marc Durant has decades of experience trying and litigating complex civil, financial, and white-collar criminal cases. He specializes in matters involving the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Department of Justice, and securities industry disputes including FINRA proceedings.
In private practice Marc has served as lead trial counsel in more than a dozen month long and longer federal jury trials, both civil and criminal. He has been chief trial counsel in securities, antitrust, FDA, R.I.C.O., Hobbs Act, and class actions. He has tried many wide-ranging securities and financial cases, civil, criminal, and regulatory. Marc has handled and supervised hundreds of securities matters. He has also handled a number of “parallel proceedings,” which are complex multi-track matters simultaneously involving grand jury investigations, criminal indictments, civil actions and SEC as well as state regulatory proceedings.
Marc has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law, a National Institute of Trial Advocacy faculty member, and an instructor in Prosecution Trial Advocacy at the United States Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute in Washington, D.C. He regularly teaches other attorneys in continuing legal education programs. He has authored law review articles and served as an Editor of the Harvard International Law Journal. He has lectured European and Asian attorneys on American extraterritorial jurisdiction.
Marc has long been Martindale-Hubbell peer review rated as AV preeminent. He has been selected by his peers for membership in highly selective honoraries, including Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, the Top 100 Trial Lawyers, Fellow, Litigation Council of America, and Lawyers of Distinction.
Marc is admitted to practice in New York, Pennsylvania and various federal trial and appellate courts, including the United States Supreme Court.
When he can escape from the office, Marc enjoys international travel and skiing with his wife, Rita, and two sons, David and Alex, and their significant others.
- Tried to jury defense verdict a securities class action against a leading broker-dealer.
- Tried to a jury defense verdict a civil antitrust case against a major Philadelphia hospital.
- Won several multimillion-dollar plaintiffs’ verdicts and awards in various business disputes.
- Represented dozens of broker-dealers and registered representatives in FINRA customer arbitrations and enforcement proceedings.
- Obtained acquittal on all money laundering and securities fraud charges in high profile, month-long trial; all other defendants convicted.
- Prosecution declined in insider trading case against stockbroker in a case which client’s partner was sentenced to prison.
- Prosecution declined in international mass marketing fraud.
- Obtained probation in two separate cases of widespread mass marketing fraud.
- Obtained probation for bank officer convicted of taking kickbacks and bribery.
- Obtained probation for government procurement employee convicted of bribery.
- Obtained probation for “pill mill” pharmacist.
- Obtained minimal home confinement sentence for corporate officer convicted of pharmaceutical manufacturing violations.
- Obtained probation in high loss bank fraud case.
Honors & Appointments
- Law Clerk, U.S. District Judge Walter K. Stapleton (D. Del.)
- Deputy Chief, Criminal Division, United States Attorney’s Office (E.D. Pa.)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, Litigation Council of America
- Lawyers of Distinction
- New York
Federal Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeal for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeal for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeal for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Cornell University, B.A.
- Harvard University, J.D.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Temple University
- Guest Lecturer, Trial Practice, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy Faculty Member
- Instructor, Prosecution Trial Advocacy, Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute, Washington, D.C.